The old castle ruins crown a rocky hill west of the village of Flums and tell of times long past.
Gräpplang was built on a craggy hillock west of Flums village. Mentioned in documents for the first time in 1249. After a long history with many changes of owner, in 1804 lack of interest in preserving it led to its sale for scrap. Objects that were still usable such as tiles, metal fittings, woodwork, building stones and the inventory were disposed of as far as possible.
In 1923 the ruins of Castle Gräpplang were taken over by the political commune of Flums and during the following years extensive building work was done to restore as much of the castle as was left. A number of years ago the foundation "Pro Gräpplang" was created and this organization carries out cultural events in and around the ruins of Gräpplang.
Since 1998 there are ist a stair going through the old ruin, so everybody can enjoy the beautiful view over the whole valley. There is also a big barbecue place at the ruin Gräpplang.
Just next to the ruins there is the Hotel Restaurant Gräpplang located. More information about the hotel you can find on www.graepplang.ch.
Mobile +41 (0)79 221 98 02
Was this page helpful?